Linden City Council discusses home grants

Guests spoke up and asked the council to reconsider the bid to build two homes in Linden during the Monday, Feb. 9, city council meeting.

The city has been applying for and receiving HOME grants each year. The grants allow for homes that are in disrepair to be rebuilt at no cost to the residents of the home.

In addition to benefiting the homeowner, the city gets to place a higher valued property on the tax rolls.

The city has been approved for reconstruction of two homes, one at 607 West Rush and the other at 805 Thomas Street.

During the January city council meeting, the council turned down the only bid received for the construction, with two councilmembers voicing concerns over whether or not the resident would live in the home or try to sell it and about the stipulations for upkeep on the properties.

In that meeting, Ryan Bowles, consultant for the city’s HOME Program, informed members the homeowners had stipulations as far as selling the home and if those stipulations weren’t met, the homeowner would be required to pay back a prorated portion of the funding to the state. As far as upkeep, Bowles said the homeowner would be required to maintain the property in accordance with city codes.

ALR Homes submitted the only bid that was within budget for the project.

Single mother of three, Erin Duncan, is a resident of one of the homes to be built through the program.

From her wheelchair, she explained how much she needed the home.

“You can see the ground through the bathroom floor,” she said. “I want a home for my boys to give them the best life – with no mold, proper sewer and wiring.”

Being disabled, Duncan relies on home health daily for tasks she would be able when she is in a new home. Her laundry room, she said, is located outside in a storage building that she is unable to get to.

“This new home would give me independence and place where my family can grow,” she said.

In the Monday night meeting, Shep Granberry asked the council to reconsider his daughter, Amanda Hankins of ALR Homes, submitted.

“I have been building single family homes, among other things, for more than 40 years,” Granberry said. “I started out in 1985 working for Winston Sullivan.”

With his experience, Granberry said he assisted with the bid and there is “lots of expense in negotiating bids.”

He said he believed some may be concerned about comments from previous builds, but that wasn’t unusual as during a walk-through a “punch list” of things that need to be fixed or changed is always expected.

He also offered to sit down with council members and answer any questions they may have.

Kyle Morgan of Trico Lumber said he felt the council’s rejection of the bid “does not put Linden in a good light.”

“This program is a positive thing for Linden,” Morgan said. “The people get houses that enhance their lives.”

Morgan said he wanted to know the thinking behind the vote.

Marlon Sullivan, who previously served nine years on the council, told members that not embracing a program that would likely double in tax value with the new homes was a mistake.

“I love this community and town,” Sullivan said, adding that the construction would be good for Linden economically through goods and services.

Gina Ham asked the council to think about the impact on families and the city’s tax base.

Tommy Kessler, who owns numerous rental homes, said he bought the homes and improved them, which benefited the city.

“As a taxpayer of properties, I feel if we add more tax values to the rolls, it would help taxes go down,” Kessler said.

After the closing of the public comments, Mayor Wayne Fitts told council members they would be revisiting the matter.

A special meeting has been set for Monday, Feb. 23, where the council will discuss the HOME Program bid, as well as filling the vacant council position left with the resignation of Mary Dowd.